Beware – Why You Should Never Use Nail Polish

1 year
4079 Views
Beware – Why You Should Never Use Nail Polish

The mani/pedi, an age-old beauty routine that gives women the chance to relax, gossip a little bit, and leave the salon feeling beautiful. However, the next time you want to make an appointment, you should think about something. Many nail polishes have been found to contain extremely high levels of toxic ingredients. So, are beautiful nails worth your health?

Toxins in Nail Polishes

In order to discover how toxic nail polish really is, the California Environmental Protection Agency tested 25 different salon-quality nail polishes. The nail polishes were tested for three chemicals that have known health risks, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, and formaldehyde.

They tested specifically for these chemicals because of recent changes in the industry. After a huge backlash against nail polishes containing these ingredients, many manufacturers claimed to remove them from their products.Some even went so far as to put a toxin-free label on their polishes.

Dibutyl phthalate – a chemical known to cause birth defects in lab animals. Toluene has the same effect, according to several studies. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen with many different health risks.

Why They’re Dangerous

What makes these chemicals so dangerous? Toluene – a clear liquid that is used to combine other ingredients used to make nail polish. Toluene exposure can lead to headaches, dry skin, eye irritation, and throat irritation. That’s why salon workers are at the greatest risk.

Dibutyl phthalate is meant to keep your nails from cracking. But, constant exposure can lead to nose and mouth irritation, disruption of reproductive hormones, and throat irritation.

Like we said, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen.Regular and prolonged exposure toformaldehyde leads to a greater risk of cancer and other health problems. Other people suffer from allergic reactions to formaldehyde, so you may want to watch out for skin irritation or allergy symptoms after getting your nails done.

Considering what your hands mean to you, and how important they are, it’s clear that you have to be careful about what you are putting on your nails. But, even those who are very careful about keeping their hands out of their mouth may unintentionally touch their mouths several times per day.

Just note, every time you touch your mouth with a manicured nail, you are introducing these chemicals to the inside of your body. Over a period of time, this can have terrible consequences, especially if you’re a regular salon goer.

Making Better Nail Polish Choices

The solution is quite simple – choose nail polishes that don’t use these toxic ingredients.Since more and more companies are removing toxins from their products, you’ll have a bigger variety of polishes to choose from.

But, beware, even those polishes with the toxin-free label, still tested positive to the above mentioned toxins. You should look for nail polishes that have been tested by outside groups and found to be consistent in their claims.

Though toxic chemicals in nail polish are a threat to your health, you don’t have to give up on your beloved part of your beauty routine. Just switch to a safer nail polish, that’s it.

Source: Family Health Freedom Network

Comments

comments

loading...

Comments

Inline
"
Inline
"