How To Get Beautiful Silky, Shiny, Straight Hair With Coconut Milk And Lemon Juice
Most people with curly hair wishes it was straight, and straight hair want it to be curly. As the saying goes: we always want what we can’t have.
Some people go to great lengths to change their hair, using chemicals and heating tools to keep their hair straight.
Unfortunately, these methods damage the hair, leading to more frizziness and even hair loss in long term.
What Causes Frizz?
Curly hair is caused by a normal and genetic trait that some people carry. However, a frizzy, dull and poofy mane may be a sign of damage or malnutrition.
Your hair can get dry because your scalp doesn’t make enough oil to moisturize it, or your strands lets moisture escape.
Hair has no natural lubrication. It relies on oils made from your scalp to keep your locks moisturized and looking lustrous. In order for your body to produce these oils, you need to be getting the proper nutrients.
Sometimes, the scalp doesn’t make enough oil, which causes your mane to be dry. (Likewise, roots in overdrive lead to an oily and greasy head.) Also, chemicals in hair-care products can take away your hair’s natural moisture and weaken the strands.
Since the roots are under your skin, dry scalp goes along with dry hair. Dry scalp peels and sheds, leading to dandruff flakes on your shoulders.
Common causes of hair damage include:
- Blow drying too often — especially when you apply alcohol-based styling products first
- Using heated straighteners or curling irons, even high end products
- Exposing your hair to lots of sun, wind, or dry air
- Applying chemical treatments, including color dyes, perms, and relaxers
How To Make A Hair Straightening Mask
This mask helps smooth your locks and eliminate frizz by restoring healthy oils to your scalp and hair shafts.
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- The juice of 1 Lemon (about 4 tablespoon)
- 3 Tablespoon of organic cornstarch (you can also choose to use arrowroot powder)
- Gradually mix the corn starch with the lemon juice, adding a bit at a time so that the mixture is not lumpy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and coconut milk together.
- Grab a large saucepan and combine both mixtures over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When it reaches a similar consistency of cake batter, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool and store in a jar with a lid.
How to use:
- Apply on your hair for 1-2 hours wearing a shower cap and a hot towel.
- Wash, rinse & style as usual.
- Repeat weekly or twice-weekly for best results.
- Store the remaining mixture in the fridge to keep it longer.
Other hair-healthy habits include proper nutrition, air-drying your locks, using natural shampoo and conditioner (or going no poo) and dying your mane with henna instead of harsh chemicals.
The fewer products you use on your scalp, the healthier it’ll be!