HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FOOD POISONING
Food poisoning is a disease that often occurs in the summer heat, since hot weather is perfect for development of bacteria and their breeding. There are different types of bacteria that can cause poisoning such as Salmonella, Staphylococcal, Escherichia etc…
Symptoms caused by food poisoning
Symptoms that occur with food poisoning can be different. The commonest symptoms are:
- Weakness and fatigue;
- Loss of consciousness;
- Muscle pain;
- Excessive sweating;
If you suspect you are suffering from food poisoning, a simple way to determine whether this is true or not is to go to the doctor and do a tests.
How to avoid food poisoning?
- Chicken should not be pink. If you are in a restaurant and you are brought a piece of chicken with pink color, return it. If you are at home, continue its cooking. It is much easier to tell if you are about to have food poisoning if the meat is raw. Raw meat contains bacteria that can harm your health.
- Do not put away your plate if there was previously raw meat in it. Of course this does not apply if you have washed it.
- Regularly wash your hands. Believe it or not, there are still people who skip this important part of personal hygiene. Washing your hands is required if you were previously in contact with raw meat or eggs.
- Keep the kitchen clean. If you regularly clean the kitchen you will prevent the development of bacteria that are bad for your health.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before consumption. Everyone knows this rule, so make sure you always stick to it.
- Avoid junk food in summer. Hot weather helps the growth of bacteria, particularly in kitchens where hygiene is less maintained. Avoid consumption of sweets, mayonnaise, meat and eggs in places where you are not sure whether the food is fresh or not.