IF YOU SEE THIS PLANT, WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT TOUCH IT!
They should teach this kind of stuff in schools but unfortunately, like the most important life skills, it is up to grownups to educate the children and everyone else. This is why you need to make sure you SHARE this article! The plant, we will talk about, is called giant hogweed and its pretty white flowers can be pretty alluring. Whatever you do, do not be tempted to touch it!
Kids are especially in danger due to curiosity.
This may come as a surprise, but in North America there are only about ten plants (not including fungi) kids must stay away from. Currently, kids are way too busy preparing for taking tests, a thing that some nations, such as Finland, excelling at education (source), rather than learning more practical knowledge, such as being able to identify poison oak or even worse, hogweed!
So teach your kids by spreading the word. Here os what you should know:
An interesting fact is that the hogweed belongs to the carrot family. It can become up to 14 feet plant filled with deadly sap!
The results of even merely brushing up against the plant can be horrifying. If you, by any chance, accidentally break this plant’s stem or touch any of its sap you will start to develop grotesque blisters! Because the stalk is this high, touching its sap is easy to accidentally do. The characteristics of this plant you need to avoid by any means are the green stems with purple patches. They are covered with little white hairs.
According to Ask a Prepper:
If you come in contact with this plant’s sap you expect occurrence of sever blisters, and if it comes into contact with your eyes you may experience blindness and possible third degree burns. The horrible effects are due to some type of chemicals contained in the plant. Once these chemicals come in contact with our skin they will dramatically increase the skin’s sensitivity to light.
The plant’s sap can cause blisters within 48 hours. The blisters are in fact very painful and can last from between a few months up to six years. If the plant’s poison reaches the eyes it can cause LONG TERM sensitivity to light.
What measures you need to take if you or a loved one comes in contact with this dangerous plant
You obviously must avoid it in the first place, however, if you happen to come in contact with the giant hogweed you need to do the following
You must immediately wash the affected area with some cold water. The toxic reactions might begin within just 15 minutes and you must get in shade and out of the sun!
Make sure to apply a safe sunscreen onto the effected area as soon as possible. It is always great to have some of the excellent DIY recipe on hand just in case.
If the plant’s juice comes in contact with your eyes you must immediately extensively wash the eyeballs with water. After that make sure to wear sunglasses in order to protect yourself!