8 Health WARNINGS Your Fingernails May Be Sending
Fingernails and disease don’t go together in most minds… but they should. Your fingernails can give you valuable health warnings and signal the presence of serious disease.
Take a good long look at your nails. Hold a hand level with your nose about a foot out from your face and scrutinize each one.
Look at the curves, dips, ridges, and grooves. Check out how thick or thin they are and if your nails are chipped or broken. Make a note of the color of the nail itself, the skin under it, and the skin around the nail.
Check your memory — have your nails always looked like this? Changes to your fingernails and disease onset are linked, so note any new developments. With this fresh view, compare what you see with this list of eight potential fingernail health warnings.
1. Discolored nails.
A healthy fingernail should be pink with a touch of pinkish white (moons) near the base. If your nails are a dull color or streaked with other colors, you may have a serious hidden health problem.
- Green nails are a sign of bacterial infection
- Red streaks in your nail bed are a warning of a heart valve infection
- Blueish nails signal low oxygen levels in your blood
- Dull nails mean a vitamin deficiency
- White nails may signal liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Dark stripes at the top (Terry’s nails) are associated with aging and congestive heart failure
Scrub those nails clean and really look at your nail color! Given the “rainbow” of potential health challenges, you want to be sure you see what your fingers are saying.
2. Thick nails.
Thick nails are not natural. You want your nails to be strong, but if they resemble talons or claws more than traditional nails watch out!
- Thickened nails that are otherwise normal can signal lung disease
- Thick and rough-textured nails can signal a fungal infection
- Thick and separated nails may mean thyroid disease or psoriasis
- Unusual thickness may also be a symptom of a circulation problem
Thickening nails are a change that should tune you in to other health symptoms you may be ignoring. Also watch out for allergic reactions to new medications which can show up as suddenly thick nails!
3. Split nails.
Split nails aren’t just occasionally chipped or shut in doors. Instead, these nails seem to flake away in layers. Don’t blame frequent handwashing or nail polish for everything, especially since:
- Split nails result from folic acid, Vitamin C, and protein deficiencies
- Split nails combined with a pitted nail bed (base) can signal psoriasis, which begins in nails 10% of the time according to WebMD
- Split nails may result from chronic malnutrition
Watch what you eat and check the psoriasis connection to fight back and pay more attention to your health overall.